Monday, September 13, 2010

You Never Have to Buy a Zinnia Again!


Zinnia's are by far my most favorite annual. They are strikingly beautiful and long lived. I was sad this year when I went to the nursery and they were out of them. After speaking with my neighbor about how sad I was, she ran into her garage and pulled out an old grocery bag. My first thought, "thanks for the trash". She laughed at me and told me to open it up. There were dried zinnia heads in there. She told me to plant them and they might bloom. I was a skeptic but I was also desperate to have zinnias in my yard. I was surprised to have them come up. So this year do not throw out your zinnias when you are winterizing your yards. Save the spent blooms and plant them next spring after the threat of frost. Free flowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment